Google

Monday, January 02, 2006

Wherein I see a strange bus ad

Spotted a strange bus ad as I was crossing the road but it didn't strike me to take a picture - anyway it was too dark and my phone cam doesn't have much of a flash. It featured a gigantic picture of a woman, with two checkboxes and options beside her face. The first read "Single eyelids?" and the second read "Twice as nice with surgery?" or something to that effect, with a web address to the side to http://www.campaignforrealbeauty.com.sg.

Visited it to find it was some kind of viral for Dove, that shampoo/body lotion company. Dove has gone the way of The Body Shop in it's advertising campaigns, couching its marketing strategies within lofty female-oriented goals. The website is a smear campaign against surgery to enhance your looks, with demonising quotes like "When surgery adds an extra eyelid, does it remove your identity?" in a questionnaire about whether single or double eyelids are more attractive

The website contains healthy advice to (as far as I can make out the target group) not-so-good-looking-conventionally women about exploring their natural beauty, reveling in unconventional looks and the "truth about beauty" (which is an ambiguous question in the fields of neuroscience and philosophy, but naturally Dove has an answer). It is rather sloppily designed in Flash and I voted twenty times for the superiority of the double eyelid without any form of IP tracking or even cookies to prevent multiple voting. The Asian study looks like it was done using the poll results of a couple of women taken off the street and as far as I am concerned fails utterly in its goal "to assess whether it was possible to talk and think about female beauty in ways that were more authentic, satisfying and empowering" and in fact doesn't seem to include any analysis of the data - some sentences about the statistics are thrown into the lot but they don't seem to draw any conclusions.

A report of a US Study conducted in Downing Street that seemed somewhat more reliable unfortunately wasn't available when I visited.

In any case, if you're the kind of person who's interested in looking at a campaign that claims to represent the fight to reduce contemporary culture's fixation with superficial beauty, be sure to visit. Just look out for the part that says every woman can be more beautiful with firmer skin (Dove sells body lotion).

I don't really like it when profit-driven companies hijack lofty ideals and project it as their own. Nor do I like the idea that Dove is pushing for, that women should all consider themselves "beautiful" - remember The Incredibles? If everyone is beautiful, the term has no meaning. Surely there must be a better way to raise self-esteem than to sacrifice the entire concept of beauty.

By the way, whilst it's considered mean to laugh a a girl for having small breasts, I'll bet few girls (or guys) will hesitate to make fun of a guy with a three-inch penis. Campaign for small dicks?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

(continued)

Stop being so sensitive lah. Everbody got problems, and we all know how to it can be solved. But somehow things don't become the way we want it, and all that fuss comes up. So, its the speed that is my concern.

If i knew how to solve your problems, i would tell them to you already. But the fact is that I am not you, and the way we do things differ. So, what can I do for you really?..

Hence, the thing I am concerned about, is whether that you are so bugged by your problems, that it keeps you wasting time, or draining you of energy. I don't know know what you are doing at the moment to secure your career, so I won't like dissect your actions and give you critical evaluations for it.

But I do guess that you have not explored all the options available for you yet. Sometimes, all it takes is one crucial step, with all that circumstantial/fate/luck mumbo accompanied, to gain that greater head start.

My aim is to get you to do something. Not because you aren't doing anything at the moment, but to try newer ways at things. That "something" I am refering to, is the stuff that you could have been procrastinating, or put off because you are not sure if it would work.

Alot of stuff that you thought wouldn't work out, actually did... My belief, is that if what you are doing at the moment isn't getting you out of the mess, its probably going to keep you there longer.

If you have already done all that you could, and is currently frustrated while waiting for the fruits of labor, then its good in all aspects. All that I wrote would be just extra.

Perhaps this posting might piss you off further. And like nick says, apologizing after the damage is like doing CPR on a corpse. You know that I ain't the type who will coo you and empathize. I believe in getting results by as many means possible is a great way to solve problems and move on.

So i will resort to butt kicking and insults when you slow down. Am I a busy body, incoherent blabber, sage wannabe? Take it as that bah. I could prove more useful than the above when we engage over issues.  

6:32 PM

Post a Comment

<< Home