Google

Friday, March 03, 2006

Wherein I am in need of help

C'est terrible! The worst has happened!

I can't find my copy (pirated) of Wit anywhere! I must have lent it to one of my friends, who probably fell asleep watching the first ten minutes of it and never returned it to me.

I'm ordering the DVD from Amazon, but as it will only arrive in two weeks time will the friend who has it please return it to me before I watch Nanny McPhee and forever lose all respect for Emma Thompson?

In case you're wondering, Wit is a wonderful made-for-TV movie about a professor who dies of cancer. As you may have guessed, it is one of my all-time favourites and I am of the opinion that Emma Thompson deserved to win that BFCAA more than some woman playing Judy Garland. The story goes like this - literature professor is told she has cancer, undergoes treatment for it, and dies. The plot is stunning, brutal and touching (if you don't know or don't care about the difference between story and plot, watch this instead). It requires tissues (well, at least I did, though I have been known to be rather tapsy for a guy) and yet I wouldn't classify it as a tragedy. It's one of those films that claim to reveal something of the human condition, and in my case I think it does.

It is better than Tuesdays With Morrie, because the main character spirals into despair and despondency as she succumbs to the disease instead of being an insipidly heroic role model (eyes... rolling... can't... stop...). If you're looking for something show the kids so that they can be brainwashed into being good citizens and upright pillars of virtue, look elsewhere.

It is based on a play, meaning there are no fast cars or exciting gunfights. There is a lot of slow camera work centered on people talking, which to my experience means will not appeal to most people (ie none of the people I know). If you do watch it and want to share the experience, I am most willing to have coffee with you, Dear Stranger, and talk about the film. Of course, since my readers are mostly my friends (who have shown no interest despite my waxing) and pokemon-hentai seekers, I'm guessing the probability is miniscule.

Save me! Before Nanny McPhee!


Reading back a couple of posts, I realize that some people seem to think I said that Jack Neo's I Not Stupid Too was a good film and are incredulous about it. I did. Jack Neo knows his audience well. Unfortunately I am not in his target audience, and because of that it is entirely understandable that his latest work has failed to move me. On the other hand, its efficacy on his target audience is applaudable. If pesticide doesn't kill you because you're not a bug, but works wonders on cockroaches, I'd say it's pretty good pesticide.

(And Aside to those of you who watched Le Divorce with me: I never liked Le Divorce. It was a horrible film experience for me. I think we watched it because there was nothing else screening at the period and we were sad little people who had nothing else to do with our time. I'm pretty sure I wasn't the one who made the decision to watch it (or if I was, I am truly very sorry for it - I had no idea what the movie was about). So please stop bringing up as an argument that I have poor film taste. Not that I don't, but to be nailed for something like that!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home