Google

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Wherein I take the gun test

Many of my friends seem to like taking online quizzes - personally I'm not too fond of the idea of taking a quiz wherein I give someone generic information about myself so that they can tell me something about myself based on the information that they gave me. Also I always have the sneaking suspicion that no paper (or electronic-form) test can truly capture a person's personality or the entire scope of circumstance surrounding an issue.

This was fully evidenced when I visited a site promoting the use of firearms for self-defence.

Take the test (click on "Firearms are a liability" on the first screen) and see a quiz where the "None of the above"s are conspicuously missing and logical fallacies parade themselves like porcelain ducks at a shooting range - the most devious of all (in my opinion) being the False Analogies.

Note the evil usage of Socratic questioning.

Or perhaps because I'm pacifist and firearms are prohibited in Singapore that I feel pretty strongly against them. If anything, Singapore is proof that even Bubble Gum CAN be prohibited for the general well-being of the majority of citizens. Take that, anti-Probitionists!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home