Google

Friday, July 08, 2005

The Business of Creativity

I was supposed to write this article for Science Club, and as all my projects, I procrastinated doing it until the very last minute - about a day or two before the deadline. Thankfully I was in a particularly lucid frame of mind for that period, and managed to whip up a three-page long rant about my poor grades in the past semester.

The editor got back to me today with the complaint that my article was too long. I'd known that, of course, but my philosophy with content is always that too much is better than too little (as opposed to layout, where too little is better than too much). So now I'm supposed to trim it where I can to reduce the page count to something like one-and-a-half pages.

Reading the article again made me cringe. It was so incredibly whiney and pathetic even I decided the person who had written it must have been a really sad person. It was supposed to be satirical, but somehow the effect was lost and I just sounded like a bratty irresponsible person with a spine of jello.

Dull retard that I was, I didn't even consider asking my editor if I could revamp the whole thing. And now I'm alsready haldway through editting it.

It's always something of a horror to me whenever anything I create has to go live, wheter it's an article or poster or website. There's never enough time to really make anything perfect, and when people start criticizing you can only wince and think to yourself how you should have thought of that or corrected this.

Notice that the term "Creative Industry" is something of an oxymoron - you're supposed to be creative, but you have to work within the framework of an "industry" - on demand, forced, and rote. I've always been better at the "industry" bit - I suppose I'd better admit to myself that my works are a little staid and similar, but luckily I can get away with it because of current design trends.

Okay, better get back to work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home